Monday, September 28, 2009

Thoughts

I don't think I've ever been in a place like this before. I'm sitting here in the analytical lab at work, days away from flying into Phoenix for the Southwest Regionals in Scottsdale, AZ. As the thoughts race through my head, "what am I gonna do this weekend," "what shouldn't I do this weekend," "what do I eat this week to prepare..." the most prevalent and overpowering thought is that we have the potential to do something special.

For those of you who know my frisbee pedigree, I came from "humble" roots. I started playing ultimate on the front lawn of my high school at lunch, somewhat of an outcast and found solace from all the stress of AP's, SAT's, and social strain in throwing a disc around with people I barely knew. I "red-shirted" my freshmen year at UC Irvine and by my second year was committed to playing with the upstart college team who was coming off a year-long suspension. It was a rough process trying to learn the game from my peers and teammates without a real "coach" figure. We struggled in the beginning, beating most B-teams here and there and it took us two trips to regionals to earn our first win, albeit on the last game on Sunday on the second try at regionals. I guess what I am trying to say is that although playing with NightLife will always be one of my greatest memories and joys in my life, we never put ourselves in a position to do something extremely special.

I remember our first universe point win, our first regionals game against the powerhouse Air Squids, the first tournament win, and of course, just the team chemistry and friendships I made. After placing a disappointing 6th at the 2008 Southwest Regionals in San Diego to close my college career in a year that was supposed to be Irvine's breakthrough, I thought that was it for me. I thought that was as good as I was going to get and wanted to get. Injuries had been a big factor in my career and many cautioned me to hang up the laces to save what I had left.

A year and a half later, I look back and thank God I didn't make that decision. The past two seasons with LA Metro have pushed me to a level I never thought I could go. The level of play is much higher than the level of college and consequently I have needed to demand that level of play from myself.

In just 4 days time is the 2009 Southwest Regionals. The team mentality has definitely changed since last year from "let's see how well we can do," to expecting to do well and to push ourselves to that next level. I've never credited myself to being part of any "exceptional" teams (except maybe Frorida), but I must say that the team that I am a part of right now is something special. I get very anxious just thinking about the weekend, about how it'll turn out, about how I will do... but I know that that's not the proper mentality for me at this point. A level of confidence, of swagger, of pride must be maintained. Trust in my teammates, trust in myself. I've been playing Ultimate for almost 4 years now... and I can say that this past year has been the most challenging for me, but the most rewarding. But the season is not over. We've got more work to do, starting with this coming weekend. All I know is that whatever happens, whatever the result, I am going to take the most I can away from my experience, and that it will make me a better player, teammate, and person; on and off the field.

Tournament preview will be up as soon as the schedule is updated on upa.org.

Until then, Thanks for reading

-Hammie
UC Irvine Nightlife Alum '08
LA Metro #10

1 comment:

Katie said...

Also, bigger font would definitely help.