Friday, June 19, 2009

Stuff to Bring

After going to tournaments for the past 3 or so years, packing for such events brings excitement, as well as frustration aided by the lack of organization and or procrastination. From that huge load of laundry that consists of just capaline, warmups, and under armor, to the final cleat check as you head out the door, there are just things that you pack just because it's an ultimate tournament. This is my list, this is how I roll to tournaments.


(List is in no particular order, and omits obvious items such as wallet, keys, cell phone, athletic bag, discs, sandals, sunblock, etc.)

The Essentials
(what you're always gonna need regardless of any tournament)

1. CLEATS
There is no way an ultimate player should ever be separated from their footwear. The number one item that is always packed are the cleats. Doesn't matter if they're turf cleats, soccer, or football, they're essential because they are the rare-find once you get to the tournament site. You can always borrow socks, shirts, or shorts, but step onto the pitch and realize that you're cleatless, you'll be walking the sideline in your rainbows feeling dumb. Unless you're the rare guy who plays better barefoot, pack your cleats FIRST. If you're flying to a tournament, cleats go into the carry-on in case the airline loses your checked gear. You never lose sight of them and you should always know where they are.

2. LIGHT + DARK
It's a Ultimate cardinal sin if you bring only one color, or a gray. If you imagine the bare essentials in ultimate, it's cleats #1, and then your shorts (given), and then a light or a dark. It is common courtesy for other ultimate players including your own team, and hey this gives you a chance to show off your jersey wardrobe. Make a statement! And remember that tie-dye is always a dark.

3. Nalgene
Apparently, the more stickers you have on your nalgene, the cooler you are. Hahaha no I'm joking about that one, but hydration is important. Who wants to be "that guy" who never brings their own nalgene and is constantly bugging other people for precious water? Yea I thought so. I was initially one of those "re-use my gatorade bottles" type of guys and I found that it just accumulates and it isn't as nice. A Nalgene bottle teaches responsibility as it forces you to know where it is, to wash it after use, and to remember to pick it up afterwards and not to leave it out by itself. A Nalgene bottle also allows expression of personality through colors, stickers, etc. etc. Maybe I'm just jealous of those people with Sigg bottles. Except when they get all dinged up. Then I just find it funny and I'm even happier with my nalgene.


B-level tournaments
(what you need for lower level tournaments that aren't too strenuous)

1. Wristbands
Building up a sweat since you're gonna be playing a bit more than pickup? Then yes, bring a wrist band. It not only keeps your hand dry from the sweat comin' off your arm, but it also compresses your wrist, keeping it warm and handy for us handlers. Although you may develop a weird and obnoxious tan like I do... the trade-offs are well worth it. And besides, I get to show off my UCI Colors every game, no matter what jersey I'm wearing.

2. Snacks
[warning... biology lesson ahead]
For those 90 minute byes, a snack is a must. While you're running, your body's "fight-or-flight" nervous system (Sympathetic nervous system), essentially prioritizes your blood flow and energy to your muscles as your work. This is essentially the body prioritizing resources on what is best. And while you're running down a huck on game point and about to lay out, your brain doesn't care about that bagel that you ate in the morning and it's most certainly not worried about digesting it. However when the bye rolls around, your body starts workin' on that digestive system and replenishment is neccessary. So a power-bar, a banana, more bagels, or if you're my friend Enway, rice balls, is a definite must for those tournaments with byes.

3. Hat
I can't really relate... but apparently wearing a hat makes you that much more of a frisbee baller. So I guess if you guys want to "keep the sun out of your eyes," or "keep the sweat from your eyes," bring your trucker hat. And don't forget to take that extra energy to take it off before you get skied by someone who didn't have to. =P jk jk love you guys.


A- Level tournaments
(stuff you need for a high level-tournament where you're gonna be sore the next day).

1. Ibuprofin (aka "candy," or "the good stuff")
The big question here is do you take 3 or 4 before warmups. I personally am at 3 before warm-up, and another 3 mid-day. This precious little drug does wonders on the field and honestly it's to ultimate as sterioids is to baseball. You pop a couple of these and those shin splints, that bum knee or ankle, and any other nagging pain goes away and you go and sky some foos. It is acceptable to share with friends, but again, don't be "that guy" who asks for some and steals like 6. Not cool.

2. Pre-wrap/Tape
For those who have bum ankles or wrists, this is for you. A lot of high level tournaments will provide trainers (Labor Day, Cal-States, Sean Ryan, Prez-Day, Vegas), however there are a lot of tournaments that do not. Therefore, bring your own preventative equipment. Pre-wrap and tape on a sore LCL could mean the difference between roaming the sidelines and playing. Recently at Cal States, the trainer ran out of tape and the only way I got my ankle wrapped for the semi-final game against Mischief was because I brought my own roll. Granted she used the entire thing on me, but it helped my ankle out and I was glad I brought it. And for the especialy hairy people, pre-wrap IS your best friend.

3. Extra Socks
This is really important. News-Flash... Your feet sweat! Yes. Your socks are gonna soak up whatever moisture you produce in addition to the dew or water on the field. Wet socks = blisters and infections. I try to play two games per pair of socks, so for a weekend, i typically bring 4-5 pairs of socks which helps beyond belief. What I wouldn't suggest would be to have the socks be at different lengths because then you'd have multiple sock tans and everyone would point and laugh at you. But yes, multiple socks = happy feet.

4. Red Bull
I picked up this habit from LA Metro when our team captain/mom Martha gave me one before the start of one tournament. I had never "red bulled" before a tourney, but it definitely worked for me. I'm not saying I rely on this stuff, but one (small) can before the tournament helps me wake up mentally. This doesn't do much for me physically other than make me burp alot during the first game, but it's a mental boost that can also be replaced by coffee, monster, or any other drink that's designed to perk you up.


---

This is not a comprehensive list, and I'm sure you guys will argue that you can bring this, or you can bring that. Yes.. you definitely can. This is just a little list of what I find essential for frisbee players... and hopefully this list will help ME remember what to bring as tournaments approach. Hope you found this usefull. Until next time, Cut smart! Throw Smart! Pack Smart!

-Hammie #10


No comments: